This item is archived from our catalog and no longer for sale. This page is available as a reference only.
Sharp Infrared Short-Range Proximity Sensor (Digital 5cm)
This small digital distance sensor detects objects between 0.5 and 5 cm (0.2" and 2") away. With its quick response time, small size, low current draw, and short minimum sensing distance, this sensor is a good choice for non-contact object detection, and its short minimum detection distance lets it see objects very close to the face of the sensor.
The GP2Y0D805 and GP2Y0D810 are Sharp’s smallest and fastest distance sensors. With a sample rate of almost 400 Hz and a sensing distance to 5 cm or 10 cm, respectively, these sensors provides attractive alternatives to shorter-range LED-phototransistor reflectance pairs and longer-range but slower sensors such as the Sharp GP2Y0A21YK0F analog distance sensor. The output, Vo, is driven low when the sensor detects an object; otherwise, the output is high.
The GP2Y0D805Z0F detects objects between 0.5 cm and 5 cm away from the sensor face, and the GP2Y0D810Z0F detects objects between 2 cm and 10.25 cm away. There are a few millimeters of hysteresis around the maximum range threshold and no hysteresis at the minimum range threshold. Note that these sensors will only tell you if there is an object within the detection range along their lines of sight; they will not tell you how far away the object is.
Please note that this sensor requires external components and has a non-standard 1.5 mm pitch, which can make it difficult to integrate into projects based on a 0.1" pitch. We offer a carrier board for this sensor that includes these required components and provides a 0.1"-pitch, three-pin interface: ground, power, and digital output. The carrier board can be purchased with the GP2Y0D805Z0F sensor soldered in, with the GP2Y0D810Z0F sensor soldered in.
Some example applications include:
- break-beam sensor or photogate alternative
- non-contact bumper or obstacle detector
- a counter or timer of objects as they pass by
- operating voltage: 2.7 V to 6.2 V
- average current consumption: 5 mA (typical)
- distance measuring range for GP2Y0D805Z0F: 0.5 cm to 5 cm (0.2" to 2")
- distance measuring range for GP2Y0D810Z0F: 2 cm to 10 cm (0.8" to 4")
- output type: digital signal (low when detecting an object, high otherwise)
- steady state response time: 2.56 ms typical (3.77 ms max)
- package size: 13.6 x 7 x 7.96 mm (0.53" x 0.27" x 0.31")
- weight: 0.7 g (0.02 oz)