This item is archived from our catalog and no longer for sale. This page is available as a reference only.
SparkFun Digital Multimeter
This is for all those starving students that need to buy their first good, low-cost multimeter. This meter has really impressive overall feel for being so low-cost. We've played with a lot of cheap-o DMMs and found that this unit's function selector has a great, solid, clicking feel to it. This unit has good continuity (rare for low-cost units), and decent probes. We even left a meter on to test the battery life - it lasted more than 170 hours (7 days) before the included 9V gave out!
Note: This meter works well for measuring very small amounts of current. Check here for a tutorial. Replacement fuses can be found below.
This multimeter does all the standard functions of lower cost meters, but here are the main reasons we like this multimeter:
- Loud continuity sound (many meters do not even have continuity)
- Current/Voltage sense
- Battery included
- Very solid clicking feel to the function selector
- Decent quality probes (not great, but they'll hold up for years)
- Strong connection from meter to probe
Things that this DMM is lacking:
- No auto-power off
- No auto-ranging
- No frequency measurement
- DC Voltage - 200mV/2V/20V/200V/600V
- AC Voltage - 200V/600V
- DC Current - 200uA/20mA/200mA/10A
- Resistance - 0 to 20M Ohm
- Continuity Buzzer
- Diode Test
- Max display: 1999