This item is archived from our catalog and no longer for sale. This page is available as a reference only.
Parallax PING Ultrasonic Distance Sensor
Our PING)))™ ultrasonic sensor provides an easy method of distance measurement. This sensor is perfect for any number of applications that require you to perform measurements between moving or stationary objects.
Interfacing to a microcontroller is a snap. A single I/O pin is used to trigger an ultrasonic burst (well above human hearing) and then "listen" for the echo return pulse. The sensor measures the time required for the echo return, and returns this value to the microcontroller as a variable-width pulse via the same I/O pin.
- Provides precise, non-contact distance measurements within a 2 cm to 3 m range
- Ultrasonic measurements work in any lighting condition, making this a good choice to supplement infrared object detectors
- Simple pulse in/pulse out communication requires just one I/O pin
- Burst indicator LED shows measurement in progress
- 3-pin header makes it easy to connect to a development board, directly or with an extension cable, no soldering required
- Narrow acceptance angle
- Range: approximately 1 inch to 10 feet (2 cm to 3 m)
- 3-pin male header with 0.1" spacing
- Power requirements: +5 VDC; 35 mA active
- Communication: positive TTL pulse
- Dimensions: 0.81 x 1.8 x 0.6 in (22 x 46 x 16 mm)
- Operating temperature range: +32 to +158 °F (0 to +70 °C)
- Security systems
- Interactive animated exhibits
- Parking assistant systems
- Robotic navigation