This item is archived from our catalog and no longer for sale. This page is available as a reference only.
Pololu 4-12V 5A Adjustable Step-Up Voltage Regulator (2.9-12V Input U3V50ALV)
These adjustable boost (step-up) voltage regulators generate higher output voltages from input voltages as low as 2.9 V. They are switching regulators (also called switched-mode power supplies (SMPS) or DC-to-DC converters) and have a typical efficiency between 80% to 95%. The available output current is a function of the input voltage, output voltage, and efficiency (see the Typical Efficiency and Output Current section below), but the input current can typically be as high as 5 A. The U3V50x regulator family includes two adjustable-output versions: the U3V50ALV offers an output range of 4 V to 12 V and the U3V50AHV offers an output range of 9 V to 30 V. Versions of this regulator are also available with a fixed 5 V, 6 V, 9 V, 12 V, or 24 V output:
The different versions of the board all look very similar, so the bottom silkscreen includes a blank space where you can add your own distinguishing marks or labels.
The no-load quiescent current depends on the difference between the input and the output voltage. When the two are close, the quiescent current can be less then a milliamp (e.g. 0.6 mA with 5 V in and 6 V out); when the two are far apart, it might be in the tens of milliamps (e.g. 24 mA with 3 V in and 24 V out).
This regulator has built-in reverse-voltage protection, over-current protection, thermal shutdown (which typically activates at 165°C), and an under-voltage lockout that causes the regulator to turn off when the input voltage is below 2.5 V (typical).
- Input voltage: 2.9 V to VOUT
- Output adjustable from 4 V to 12 V or 9 V to 30 V
- 5 A switch allows for input currents up to 5 A
- Integrated reverse-voltage protection, over-current protection, over-temperature shutoff, and under-voltage lockout
- Typical efficiency of 80% to 95%, depending on input voltage, output voltage, and load
- Compact size: 1.9″ × 0.6″ × 0.41″ (48 × 15 × 10.5 mm)
- Two mounting holes for #2 or M2 screws
- Smaller holes for 0.1″ header pins and larger holes for terminal blocks offer several options for connecting to the board